6 x artists with a cause
Some performing artists use their talents for community improvement, stimulating culture, and addressing the critical needs of communities.
Tue 18 10 2018 Tamikrest: ‘Kidal’
- 'We consider the desert as an area of freedom to live in. But many people consider it as just a market to sell to multinational companies, and for me, that is a major threat to the survival of our nomadic people.'
Sat 20 10 2018 Naghash Ensemble: ‘Songs of Exile’
- 'As a descendent of genocide survivors, I am deeply familiar with the stories of split second decisions as to where to run, whom to trust and how to survive the unspeakable tragedy of the Armenian Genocide.
Armenians were scattered throughout the world while fate, luck, and personal fortitude decided where each survivor would end up be it Paris, Boston, Lebanon, Iran or anywhere else on the planet.
I have always been struck that these decisions, made in an instant by the survivors, had repercussions for generations to come.'
Thu 08 11 2018 Luka Bloom: 'Refuge'
- 'Autumn\Winter 2016 the world seemed to become a loud, brutal place. People hurting from war, homelessness, climate change… People respond in different ways. I sought refuge in songs. I wrote some, I learned some and I visited some old ones.
After a few months of quiet work, I felt the need to put these songs out into the world. At first I heard choirs and strings and trumpets. In the end I decided to keep it raw, and simple. And here it is – Refuge.'
Tue 20.11.18 Ballets Confidentiels (dance): ‘All Coming Together’
- 'As lovers will contrast their emotions in times of crisis, so am I'm dealing with my environment. In the indifferent brutality, incessant noise, the experimental chemistry of food, the raving of lost hysterical men, I can act with clarity and meaning.'
Thu 22 11 2018 Jazzmeia Horn
- 'Let's speak about the social issues that are happening in our community and in our society. Let's sing about them, let's bring them up. (...) Let's sing about different ideas and different ways about how we can make them change without hurting anybody. Let's come together in peace and be social.'
Sat 09 03 2019 Refugees for Refugees (cd-release)